According to Wickipedia this is the first known photograph of a ship.
The buildings behind the ship in the picture above were lost in 1873 when the Cumberland Basin when Howards Lock was built.
To the left of the middle of this picture you can see Merchants Dock, built in 1768 as Champions Dock. Its entrance was blocked off in 1965 and it was built over in the 1980s for the Rownham Mead housing development.
Above it is Hotwell Dock built in 1770 as Stotherts Shipyard and now Pooles Wharf Marina.
Part of original Junction Dock Gate from 1870 at Princes Wharf
Howards Junction Entrance Lock approaching from East under Plimsoll Bridge
Howards Junction Entrance Lock approaching from West
Plimsoll Bridge opening
Merchants Road swing bridge, was built by John Lysaght in 1925.
The Pump House was built in 1873 by Thomas Howard as a Hydraulic Pumping House to provide power to the bridges and machines of Bristol Harbour. It was replaced by the hydraulic engine house at Underfall Yard in the 1888.
In 2018 the City Council referred to the Cumberland Basin area as ‘Western Harbour’ and launched a development proposal covering 15 to 20 hectares of land, 75% of which is already owned by the council. The white line on the photograph below shows the land in question which includes the 1960 road system which would have to be replaced.
The land would be used for leisure and housing as depicted in the council model above.