The Cut – The New Course of the Avon from 1809 – Spike Island

(Home)

The Cut – The New Course of the Avon from 1809

New Goal was commissioned in 1816 – only the gate house on Cumberland Road remains

New Gaol 1880s RW
New Gaol in 1880s – Reece Winston
Demolishing Gaol Cumberland Road 1898 R W
Demolishing the New Gaol at Wapping 1898 – Reece Winston
ex-lms-2-6-2-tank-engines-nos-41202-and-41203-haul-an-rcts-special-on-the-bristol-harbour-line-on-28th-april-1957
Railway alongside Cumberland Road 1957
Vauxhall Bridge Old 2
Vauxhall Bridge was built in 1900 to replace the ferry. In this picture it is closed to shipping.

There is still a plaque on the bridge in 2019 saying it was built by Lysaght Ltd Engineers Bristol in 1900.

Vauxhall Bridge plaque 1900

Vauxhall Bridge Old
Vauxhall Bridge Open
Gaol Ferry 1931 - RW
Gaol Ferry C 1930 – Reece Winston
goal ferry 1934 - reece winston
Goal Ferry 1934 – Reece Winston
starting work on goal ferry bridge 1935 rw
Starting work on Goal Ferry Bridge 1935 – Reece Winston
construction of goal ferry bridge 1935 rw
Constructing Goal Ferry Bridge in 1935 – Reece Winston
Golferry Bridge Old
Goalferry Bridge Built in 1935 to replace the ferry which had operated there since 1838.
Goalferry Bridge 2018
Goalferry Bridge 2018
Goalferry Bridge from West
Goalferry Bridge from the West
j-southvillebridge
Gaolferry (Southville) Bridge

 

View from Bedminster Bridge Old
View West from Bedminster Bridge before the 1930s

 

Advertisements